In the early of the year 1932 Mr. Arshed Al-A’omary , Baghdad municipality governor at that time , invited 150 persons of the kingdom’s elite class figures , nobles and thinkers of and he suggested the idea of establishing IRCS along as the other civilized countries of the world and accordingly 16 members have been elected to state the draft of the society ‘s statutes .
• On 29 /2/1932 IRCS established .
• On 1/3/1932 the general body held its first meeting and elected an administrative body and members .
• On 16/6/1934 the recognition of the international committee of Red Cross and Red Crescent Of the IRCS .
• On 23/6/1934 IRCS joined the membership of international federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent .
• The 26 th article of the fundamental system of 1988 pointed that the society has a distinctive emblem of thin red crescent , its opening is to the right of the on looker encircled by green frame and the title of the society is to be written in white in it both English and Arabic languages . This emblem is to be placed on all the society ‘s properties , warehouses , hospitals , centre and transportations and any other institution are not allowed to use the emblem . the bodies , equipments and clinics carrying the Red crescent emblem enjoy the immunity against intervence according to article 44 of Geneva convention of 1949 .
Iraqi Red Crescent Society
An independent national humanitarian society that works to reduce the suffering and pain of people without discrimination during the peace and war , natural disasters and non-natural disasters , it is also considered one of the most activist societies in the international movement of Red Cross and Red Crescent. The work of the society depends on the principle of voluntary work which considered the base in IRCS work , that the voluntary service is embodied the fundamental principles of the Red Cross and Red Crescent international movement which considered volunteers the basic block in the society work , that the voluntary relief doesn’t work for any interest or seek for any profit .
IRCS seeks to help the wounded and reduce their pains , searching for missing people and captives , it also offer medical assistance to sick people and wounded people during war nevertheless wither they were allies or enemies according to international conventions.
IRCS seeks to help the affected people from the natural disasters inside and outside the country like : floods , earthquakes , volcanoes , and epidemics, where it opens dispensaries and first aid centers in addition to train volunteers on first aid works and nursing to prepare them for emergencies cases .